Thursday, August 24, 2006

Cavedweller and Ryan Anderson at The Parlor


Cavedweller circa 2004 at Trophy's. Ever wish you had a time machine?

Friday 9:00 pm
August 25, 2006

The Parlor
100-B E. North Loop
Austin, TX


After deciding to write a preview for Cavedweller's next show in Austin, I thought, "What can I write about one of my favorite local performers, Cavedweller? That he has spoiled me for other guests after his performance on KOOP's "ATX Live"?"

It was a solo performance, because the tiny studio couldn't fit his live band. We started off playing one of my favorites from Cavedweller's latest album, The Best Version of Gloria Ever There Was, "Can't Cook Down". Although I had witnessed an electric CD release party with his band the weekend before, I didn't know what to expect when he picked up his acoustic guitar that afternoon in that cramped space, then removed his keys to avoid the additional percussion.

It felt like a private concert.


Cavedweller. No, he's not in a gang.

There's something about his voice that is soft but strong, sexy even... He's got a way with a phrase that reminds me of Jeff Buckley. Forget that comparison. And scratch the obvious similarities to Syd Barrett and Devendra Banhart - Cavedweller simply has an almost indescribable, understated yet surprisingly powerful voice that delivers imaginative songs. (And you should hear him whistle!)

Cavedweller's love of rock 'n' roll is evident in his latest release, The Best Version... with indirect tributes to the history and myth of a Bob Dylan song (It's All Over Now David Blue") and cleverly worded references to bands like Steppenwolfe ("Steppingwolfe").

Read more about how wonderful the album in the August issue of INsite.
But it's better to buy the album at stores like End of an Ear and surprise yourself. Then experience Cavedweller live tomorrow, or next Thursday - August 31st at Room 710. (See Music Recommended in this week's Austin Chronicle.)


Ryan Anderson

I'm also excited to hear Ryan Anderson live for the first time. I'll admit to never having heard about him until an off-the-air conversation with Cavedweller. He seemed so excited about his show with Anderson, telling me I should come. I could tell he really meant it; and when I heard Anderson courtesy of MySpace.com, I was impressed. After doing a little digging, I learned that Trains Take Away Old Friends, released last month, is full of thoughtful tracks that may just be irresistable enough for me to ask for a copy to review.

In the meantime, I'll have to settle for a live performance of songs from the new album.

Poor me.

Go early to get a good seat - and order pizza and beer for dinner!

~ diy-danna

I almost forgot to mention that Cavedweller will perform with a slightly different line-up since 2004: Matty Nichols on bass guitar and Preston Dukes on drums.

For The Record



Cavedweller
The Best Version of "Gloria" Ever There Was
Business Deal
Released July 2006


Soon available at most local, independent record stores; on sale now @ Business Deal.

Cavedweller Links:
cavedwellermusic.com
myspace.com/cavedweller
Business Deal


Ryan Anderson
Trains Take Away Old Friends
Bi-Fi Records
Released July 2006


Available online through the Bi-Fi store, and probably at your local record store.

More Links:
ryanandersonmusic.com
myspace.com/ryananderson
Ryan Anderson's Artist Page

No comments: