Saturday, July 2, 2005

Remembering Luther Vandross


Luther Vandross (1951-2005)



I fell in love with Luther Vandross' in 1984 when he sang a medley of the Carpenters' "Superstar" and Aretha Franklin's "Until You Come Back to Me" at a concert in Beaumont, TX. My mother finally decided I was old enough to attend a concert. I had really wanted to see Jesse Johnson (a one hit wonder associated with Prince and The Time) and Midnight Star that night. I thought Mr. Vandross was too mushy for me because my mom and her friends adored him. But of course, it was Luther who stole the show and my heart. He went on to become one of the best male R&B singers of all time, stealing the hearts of fans of all ages. To quote one of his closest friends, Roberta Flack, who compelled him to go solo after years in the background:



"He was a musician who couldn't help but give you all he had. He was the kind of guy who was born to do what he did musically and let the world know about it. He was not born to keep it smothered in the chest."



Luther Vandross definitely gave all he had that night at my very first concert over 20 years ago. He will be missed.


~ diy-danna

No comments: