Wednesday, April 6, 2005

HOLY CA$HCOW! La Snacks Signs With Cashcow Records! And More Good News...

******This blogger will serve as an unofficial article hub for diy-music, currently under major reconstruction until 11:59 PM (CST) April 15, 2005******

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Good news! I may see and hear one of my favorite bands from SETX (Southeast Texas) - La Snacks this year. The band is formerly known as La Snacks: We're Big In Japan. (Which is what they should name their upcoming CD.)
They tour this Summer thanks to an indie label based in California and College Station(?) - Cashcow. As much crap as people give California for exporting musical crap (with a few exceptions) I have to admit that the Texas (and Austin) music scene lacks the support of indie labels compared to other regions in the U.S. Yes, Austin & Dallas have good live venues and recording studios (FYI: La Snacks recorded in the Sweat Box - Austin, TX) but I wish there were more quality indie labels. Follow me on this tangent: In a parallel universe I would have the cash and connections to start an indie label that promotes 5 or 6 great local bands. My fantasy indie label would be called Quintessence or SixthSense Records (some kind of new age-sounding name) and include artists representing my favorite genres - indie rock, punk, hip-hop, neo-soul, reggae, and electronica. Does anyone feel me on this? I can't be alone in wishing for more good music and less... fodder. I'm a silly dreamer, but maybe if I keep complaining loud enough - or just shut my pie hole - someone will have the gumption and moolah (get it - Cashcow, moolah?) to support good bands like La Snacks to replace these corporate lackeys playing humdrum music.
Fortunately there are some organizations that support local indie artists in Texas. Two of them are in SETX: Local Music Guide and Southeast Texas Art & Music Review (SETMAAR) . The other is based in my hometown: Austin Indie Alliance. Yipee! Although the infant indie music scene could use a little (or a lot) more encouragement and interest in SETX, there is hope for both music scenes to reach the rest of the world. The only indie rock label in SETX (that I've heard of lately), SETX Records, wasn't "diversity-minded" (does that sound too "P.C."?) enough to sign La Snacks. But in this label's defense, they were smart enough to sign Sivan. Ultimately things work out the way they should - usually for the best in my Pollyanna world view. Cashcow Records is a better fit for La Snacks' eclectic indie/alt sound. I also like their labelmates, Sworn To FunYou can listen/download a sample from the forthcoming CD @ MySpace.com. After you listen comment or send an e-mail and tell me: Who is "Hunter S. Thompson".* Hmmm... That name sounds familiar...

Look for La Snacks at a city near you this Summer...

~ DIY-Danna, a.k.a. "That Weird Zine Grrrl"

* Whoever comments or e-mails me about this blog/article first, with the correct answer to the pop culture trivia pop quiz : Who is Hunter S. Thompson?, will win a free La Snacks CD. You can collect this prize June 9th @ Redrum in Austin, TX.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think us not being "diversity-minded" has much to do with us not having offered a record deal to La Snacks. La Snacks are a cool band. There is only so much time and resources to go around at an small indie label.
Thanks for the Sivan compliment though.

Hunter S. Thompson: Inventor of Gonzo jounalism, and one of the greatest American authors of all time.

If I won, give my cd to a hungry kid.

Jeremy Gallas
co-founder - Set X Records