Thursday, June 2, 2005

Black Music Month: Top 10 Revolutionaries

FYI: June Is Black Music Month. So I've decided to do my own top 10 lists of all-time favorite and new music solo artists. Some of them are indie, some of them are affiliated with corporate labels. All of them have profoundly affected my love of music.
DIY-Danna's All-Time Favorite R&B Revolutionaries.

These artists could be defined revolutionary in their musical style, lyrics, or private and public lives.


1. Aretha Franklin (Listen to "Ain't No Way" and you will know why she's the Queen of Soul.)
2. Donny Hathaway (With or without Roberta Flack, he was a phenomenal artist.)
3. Roberta Flack (One of my very favorite singers, with or without Donny Hathaway.)
4. Otis Redding (I wonder what would have happened after "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay"...)
5. Marvin Gaye (Talented + Heartbreaking = R&B Legend.)
6. Stevie Wonder ("Innervisions" or "Songs in the Key of Life" should be in everybody's collection.)
7. James Brown (Say it loud!...)
8. Luther Vandross (I didn't like love ballads until I heard him.)
9. Etta James (She's always crossing boundaries and borders, and it's always soulful.)
10. Prince (He bridges the gap between rock fans and R&B lovers.)

Top 10 Brand New Heavies.

(Not to be confused with my favorite acid jazz group.) These artist have been around since the 1990's, but now is there time to shine.


1. Jill Scott (I love her as much as Aretha.)
2. Erykah Badu (She combines the best of black music - jazz, R&B, hip hop - and has become a pioneer of "Neo-Soul")
3. India Arie (Folksy R&B? Are my ears deceiving me?)
4. Alicia Keys (One of the best performers ever.)
5. Shemekia Copeland (A blues singer to reckoned with in my humble opinion.)
6. Usher (He's been around a lot longer than you think, but he's finally on the verge of greatness.)
7. Mary J. Blige (She can make you work up a sweat or bring you close to tears.)
8. D'Angelo (A sexy Neo-Soul pioneer.)
9. Me'Shell Ndege'ocello (".)
10. Jhelisa (I first "discovered" her when she sang back-up for Bjork, and have been a fan ever since.)

Enjoy this great month of great music.

~ DIY-Danna

No comments: